Some of the key objectives for XL are:
- Easy to read. Observations have shown that code is read several times more often than it is written.
- Easy to write. Making code easy to read should not come at the expense of the programmers writing it.
- Simple. Only what is necessary to achieve the objectives belongs to the language.
- Powerful. Programmers need power tools, not gimmicky toys.
- Extensible. Programmers, not language designers, know best what tools they need.
The last objective is so important that it gives its name to the language.